Respite care refers to in-home care services used for a short period of time like a few hours or a weekend to care for your aging loved ones.
In-home Respite Care for Seniors
During in-home respite care services, the temporary professional caregiver visits the elderly care receiver’s home and provides support services which could include bathing, administering medications and even help with feeding.
One of the main advantages of this service is convenience for the care receiver and the family. They will not have to travel to another location and may stay in the comfort of their home.
While it’s possible to ask a family member or friend to step in for you, it is much less worrisome when you have a professional caregiver to take care of your loved ones. The respite caregivers are trained in interactive caregiving.
A trademark approach that teaches the use of technology and strategies to keep seniors engaged. From physical and mental exercises to proper diet and hydration the proprietary interactive caregiving can help create a positive and healthy body as well as the mind.
Emergency Respite Care
Emergencies always arrive unannounced. It may force you to leave town or cut short the time you were planning to spend with your parents. In such situations, an alternative caregiver is a godsend.
It’s always prudent to prepare a document beforehand, with information about the details of medication that your parents are on as well as allergies, food habits, and the contact details in case of a medical emergency.
It’s always a good idea to try out respite care services beforehand so that you can rest assured of professional care in case an emergency. A professional respite caregiver will:
- Ensure your parents are taking their required doses of medication.
- Provide appropriate supervision to ensure they are safe and healthy in your absence.
- Attend to basic needs and activities that would ordinarily be performed by you.
Advantages of Respite Care
Respite care can come in handy for families with ailing senior members. Specially in cases where it’s difficult for family members to take care of them 24/7. Here are some advantages that you should consider if you are looking for a short-term solution for seniors family members:
- Respite care services provide planned short-term breaks for families and other unpaid caregivers.
- While families and caregivers take pride and joy in caring for their loved elderly ones at home, this care can be physically and emotionally draining.
- 60% of family caregivers surveyed by the Commonwealth Fund reported fair or poor health, one or more chronic conditions, or a disability, compared with only 33% of non-caregivers. Respite caregivers can help you plan your much needed break without feeling guilty.
- Respite helps avoid out-of-home placements for the elderly care receiver.
- Respite care reduces the likelihood of abuse and neglect.
Caregivers and Self-care
Caregiving is demanding. Seeking help or a break from it all actually benefits you and the people you care for.
Taking advantage of respite care gives you a change in environment and thoughts to rejuvenate yourself. It’s a good way for you to relax and take time out for yourself. Though these will seem to be the last thing that you can think of, here are some ideas that you should indulge in while respite care takes care of your loved one:
- Take a vacation.
- Get a health check-up and make sure you are fit.
- Spend time with friends.
- Get out of the house and do activities that you enjoy
- Spend time on hobbies
- Enjoy a day at the spa or get that haircut you’ve been meaning to
With respite care, you’ll be at peace knowing your loved ones are in safe and caring hands.
If you or your elderly loved one can benefit from respite care, the professional caregivers staffed at Comfort Keepers are trained and skilled in this type of care service. Contact us at (877)-698-9394 with any questions regarding our services or to find a caregiver that is right for you!